- 8 eggs, poached
- ½ cup (125mL) cucumber, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (125mL) red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) sugar cane
- 8-10 sweet potatoes, slices, ¼ inch thick
- ½ tsp (2mL) garlic powder
- ¼ tsp (1mL) smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp (1mL) chili powder
- ½ tsp (2mL) dried dill
- 1 tbsp (15mL) maple syrup
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 cup (250mL) arugula
- 1 cup (250mL) watercress
- 1 tbsp (15mL) cilantro, chopped plus leaves for garnish
- 1 tbsp (15mL) dill, chopped plus sprigs for garnish
- ½ cup (125mL) Black River - Maple Cheddar, grated
- 3 egg yolks
- ½ tsp (2mL) lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp (15mL) milk
- pinch salt
- In a small sauce pot; warm apple cider vinegar and stir in sugar to dissolve, 3 minutes. Place sliced red onions and cucumbers into a bowl, pour warm vinegar over top of vegetable. Let vegetables sit in liquid for 10 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Place sliced sweet potato onto a lined baking tray.
- In a small bowl, stir together garlic powder, smoked paprika, chili powder, dried dill, maple syrup, salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Brush sweet potato slices with mixture. Bake for 15 minutes; flip and bake for another 10 minutes until fork tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- To make hollandaise; in a medium steel bowl, whisk eggs with lemon juice. Place bowl over a saucepan with a small amount of simmering water. Whisk eggs vigorously until light in colour and doubled in volume, 2 minutes. Whisk in melted butter, milk and grated cheese. Continue to whisk until creamy and cheese is melted, roughly 1 minute. Remove from heat and prepare plates.
- In a small bowl, toss together arugula, watercress, chopped cilantro and dill. Divide salad and sweet potato slices amongst four plates. Top each salad with pickled red onion and cucumber. Place 2 poached eggs on top of sweet potato slices. Spoon warm hollandaise over eggs. Garnish with fresh red pepper and herbs.