- 1 cup (250mL) Black River - Maple Cheddar, grated
- 2 cups (500mL) fennel
- 1 tsp (5mL) fennel seeds
- 2 ½ cups (625mL) baby spinach
- 4 tbsp (60mL) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (250mL) all purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup (310mL) milk
- 1 tbsp (15mL) sugar
- 7 eggs
- dill sprigs, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tbsp. (30 mL) of butter and stir in fennel seeds, cook for 6 minutes until butter is a light golden colour. Stir in sliced fennel, cook for 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer mixture into a large bowl. Stir in ½ cup (125 mL) grated cheese. Set aside until ready to use.
- In a small non-stick pan over medium heat, cook six eggs one at a time for 2 minutes without flipping until whites are just cooked. Set sunny side up eggs aside until ready to use.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, 1 egg, milk and sugar together. In an 8-inch round non-stick frypan over medium high heat, melt 1 tsp. (5 mL) of butter. Lift the pan away from heat and pour 1/3 cup (45 mL) of batter into the pan. With a gentle and quick swirling motion, coat the bottom of the pan with batter. Return pan to heat and cook batter for 2 minutes. Place ¼ amount of the fennel and spinach mixture into the centre of the crepe. Top with one egg. Gently fold 4 corners of the crepe towards the centre just around the egg edges and press into place. Transfer to prepared baking tray. Repeat steps creating five more open face crepes.
- Sprinkle your six crepes with remaining ½ cup (125 mL) of grated cheese. Bake for 10 minutes. Garnish with dill sprigs. Serve warm.