- 1 ¼ cup (310mL) Black River - Pepper Jack, grated
- 1 ¾ cups (425mL) all purpose flour
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup (80mL) unsalted butter, cold, and cubed
- ½ tsp (2mL) sea salt
- ¼ tsp (1.25mL) pepper, ground
- ½ cup (125mL) heavy cream
- ¼ cup (60mL) milk
- ¾ cup (180mL) smoked ham, finely diced
- ½ cup (125mL) onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup + 2 tsp (70mL) olive oil
- ½ tsp (2mL) pepper
- ¼ cup (60 mL) white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45mL) chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5mL) sea salt
- 4 cups (1L) lettuce leaves, fresh
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a food processor, pulse flour, ¾ cup (175 mL) pepper jack cheese, 1 egg, butter, salt and ¼ tsp. (1.25 mL) pepper until dough comes together. Divide dough into 6 large 3-inch (7.6 cm) deep muffin pan cups. Press dough on the bottom and up the sides of each cup. Line dough with parchment paper and fill with pastry weights. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and gently remove weights and parchment paper. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (163°C).
- In a saucepan over medium heat; sauté onions and ham with 2 tsp. (10 mL) olive oil and ½ tsp. (2 mL) pepper, 3 minutes. Spoon mixture into pastry cups.
- In a large bowl whisk 4 eggs, cream and milk together. Stir in remaining ½ cup (125 mL) pepper jack cheese. Pour egg and cheese mixture over ham and onions. Bake for 30-35 minutes until puffed and tops are golden.
- To make salad; in a large bowl, whisk ¼ cup (60 mL) of olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp. (30 mL) of chives and salt together. Toss with frisee lettuce. Serve mini quiche with a side of frisee salad. Garnish with remaining chopped chives.