- 2 cups (500mL) Black River - 3 Year Aged Cheddar, grated
- 8 slices whole wheat bread, ½ inch thick
- ½ cup (125mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15mL) fresh tarragon leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- ½ tsp (2mL) whole peppercorns
- ¼ cup (50mL) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (50mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750mL) whole milk
- ¼ tsp (1mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1mL) pepper
- 4 eggs, fried
- 200 g Chianti porchetta, shaved
- 2 tbsp (30mL) Dijon mustard
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, simmer red wine vinegar, tarragon, peppercorns and garlic for 10 minutes, reducing liquid in half. Strain and reserve.
- In a medium sauce pot over medium heat, melt butter. Whisk in vinegar reduction and flour, cook for 5 minutes. Whisk in milk, salt and pepper and cook for 7 minutes until sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in 1 ½ cups (310 mL) of cheese.
- Preheat broiler on low and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread 1 tsp. (5 mL) of dijon mustard onto each bread slice. Place Porchetta slices on top of four bread slices.
- Top each bread slice with ¼ cup (60 mL) of grated cheese. Ladle ¼ cup (60 mL) of cheese sauce over each slice. Place under broiler until browned, 20 minutes.
- Stack one slice of cheese toast on top of porchetta toast and finish with a fried egg and garnish with pepper and chives. Continue with the remaining sandwiches.