- 1 ½ cups (375mL) Black River - Smoked Cheddar, grated
- 2 cups (500mL) all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15mL) sugar
- ¾ cup (180mL) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- ½ tsp (2mL) salt
- 5 tbsp (75mL) water, ice cold
- 2 cups (500mL) heirloom tomatoes, ¼ inch sliced into rounds
- 1 tbsp (15mL) thyme, chopped
- 2 tsp (10mL) olive oil
- ¼ tsp (1mL) pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp (30mL) Lavender honey, warm
- basil leaves, for garnish
- In a food processor combine, flour, butter, sugar and ¼ tsp. (1 mL) of salt. Pulse until dough starts to come together. Gradually add cold water and continue to pulse until dough is soft and forms into a ball.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions, roughly 70 grams each. Flatten each piece, ½ inch (1.27 cm) thick and wrap in saran wrap. Refrigerate 30 minutes until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl gently coat tomatoes with thyme, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 380°F (195°C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface flatten out each dough piece into a 6-inch (15.24 cm) round disk. Top in the centre of each disk ¼ cup (60 mL) of grated cheese and 3 -4 tomato slices. Fold edges of the pastry up and around the filling. Transfer galettes to prepared baking tray.
- In a small bowl whisk egg with 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of water. Brush egg wash over pastry. Bake for 30 minutes until pastry is golden.
- Drizzle galettes with warm honey and garnish with basil leaves.