- ¼ cup (60mL) Black River - Maple Cheddar with Cracked Pepper Cheese Log, shaved
- 1 lb (453g) fresh salmon, skin removed
- 2 tbsp (30mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30mL) maple syrup
- ⅓ cup (80mL) walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30mL) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (500mL) leeks, sliced and green stalk removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2mL) pepper
- ¼ cup (60mL) white wine
- Soak cedar plank in warm water for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, stir walnuts and 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of maple syrup together, cook for 3 minutes. Stir in butter and cook another 3 minutes. Once liquid becomes sticky transfer mixture onto a piece of parchment paper and cool completely. Finely chop and set aside.
- Sauté leeks and garlic in 1 tbsp. (15 ml) of butter, 1 tbsp. (15 mL) olive oil and ¼ tsp. (.25 mL) each salt and pepper for 5 minutes. Stir in white wine and cook for 3 -4 minutes until wine has evaporated. Remove from heat until ready to use.
- Cut salmon into 1.5-inch cubes and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Stir in 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of olive oil, 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of maple syrup and ¼ tsp. (.25 mL) each salt and pepper. Add chopped walnuts and fully coat salmon pieces.
- Lay the cedar plank onto a baking tray. Place pieces of salmon onto plank and cook for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes place a spoonful of leeks on top of each salmon piece, return to oven and cook for another 7 minutes.
- To serve - top leeks with 2 pieces of shaved cheese.
- Use mini planks to serve salmon to guest as an individual appetizer.