- 1 log (300g) Black River - Piri Piri Seasoned Cheddar Cheese Log
- ½ cup (125mL) Black River - Monterey Jack, grated
- 2 ½ cups (625mL) all purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp (10mL) apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup (60mL) unsalted butter, soft
- 1 ½ tsp (7mL) dry active yeast
- 2 tsp (10mL) cane sugar
- 1 ¼ cups (310mL) milk
- 8 cups (2L) water
- ¼ cup (60mL) baking soda
- ¼ cup (60mL) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (15mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15mL) rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15mL) sea salt
- 1 tsp (5mL) garlic powder
- In a small sauce pan, warm ¾ cups (80 mL) of milk. Pour milk over sugar to dissolve in a small measuring cup. Sprinkle top with yeast and let stand 5 -10 minutes until frothy.
- Using a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment set to low speed; knead flour, grated Monterey jack, vinegar, 2 tbsp. (30 mL) of butter and milk mixture for 7 minutes until dough fully pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Transfer dough to your work surface and knead dough for 2 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and at tea towel. Set in a warm place for 1 hour until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Line two baking trays with parchment paper, set aside. In a small bowl stir together sea salt and garlic powder, set aside until ready to use.
- Lightly dust your work surface with flour and roll out dough. Divide dough into 5 balls. Roll one ball at a time into a log, 8-inches (20 cm) long by 1-inch (2.5 cm) wide. Cut dough into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In a deep sauce pan, bring water and baking soda to a gentle boil. Working in batches, place dough pieces into water, cook for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to prepared baking trays. Repeat with remaining dough pieces.
- In a small sauce pan, melt ¼ cup (60 mL) of butter with rosemary. Brush dough with melted rosemary butter and sprinkle with garlic salt. Bake for 15 minutes until puffed and dark golden brown.
- In a small sauce pot over medium heat, whisk corn starch with 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of cream until dissolved. Stir in remaining milk and cream and bring to a gentle boil. Stir in cubed cheese. Cook 5 -7 minutes until cheese has melted and sauce coats the back of your spoon. Serve warm with pretzel bites.
- For a different spiced sauce try using our Chipotle Seasoned Cheddar Cheese log.