- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling water for 20 minutes, or until tender. Drain water and return to the pan.
- Mash with potato masher until smooth and set aside to cool.
- Sift flour into a large bowl and add yeast and salt. Mix well. Stir in mashed potatoes and rub with your fingers to form a crumb consistency.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the lukewarm water. Start by bringing the mixture together with a round-bladed knife, and then use your hands.
- Turn out on to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Return the dough to a bowl. Cover with a damp dishtowel and leave to rise in a warm place for an hour, or until doubled in size.
- Turn the dough out and punch down the air bubbles. Knead again for 30 seconds.
- Divide dough into 24 even pieces and shape into balls.
- Mix Black River Monterey Jack and Black River Medium Cheddar Cheese together. Sprinkle 2 cups of cheese mixture over a baking sheet. Take each ball of dough and roll it in the cheese with your hands.
- On a dry surface roll each cheese-covered roll to form a long rope like shape. Fold the two ends together and twist the bread.
- Lay the bread twists on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese mixture.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave the bread to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Bake the bread for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Bread twists will stay moist and fresh for up to 3 days if stored in airtight container or bags.