- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Spread asparagus evenly in a 9” x 13” (3 L) glass baking dish.
- In small bowl, mash together butter, garlic, lemon zest, pepper and salt. Drop in small dots over asparagus spears. Roast for about 15 minutes, or until asparagus is just tender-crisp and starting to brown, shaking dish halfway to coat asparagus in butter.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese and lemon juice; sprinkle over asparagus and bake for about 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.
- In place of asparagus, substitute 6 cups of broccoli and/or cauliflower florets or 1 lb (500 g) trimmed green beans. Increase roasting time to 25 minutes.
- In Ontario, asparagus is a spring delicacy, best eaten fresh. Look for crisp spears with green or purple tips with tight heads.